Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Kanto Pokédex for Into the Oddish

I recently went through the laborious and frankly insane process of statting out all 151 original (Kanto region) Pokémon for Into the Oddish, complete with default movesets for each.

I felt compelled to do this as I was putting more work into prepping my sandbox for Pokémodule B1: In Search of the Unown. As I was statting out regular Shellder, Krabby, Sandshrew, and the like I thought, "Gee, if I was doing this for something like AD&D I would just write 'bandit' and be done with it. That would be a heck of a lot easier."

And so I wanted to create a sort of Monster Manual for Into the Oddish so that I (and, by extension, you) would have a master document to refer to when prepping in more detail. This obviously required a lot more work upfront, but hopefully will result in a lot less work for everyone else going forward. My labor is your reward!

Now, this will be useful if you're prepping something like, I don't know, a Mt. Moon-esque cave and you want to have an encounter table with Zubat, Geodude, Clefairy, and Paras. You can just use the "default" versions of those Pokémon. I still encourage making singular Pokémon unique with curated movesets, battle items, held items, TMs, maybe even special abilities and the like.

This is similar to how if, in AD&D terms, you had a lair of say, 60 bandits with three 3rd level fighters, a 4th level fighter, an 8th level leader, or whatever, you would probably just write "60 bandits" and then detail the "leader-types" individually. You might not go through the trouble of detailing each of the lower-level fighters, but their leader would certainly get a name, some magic items, and maybe even their own bespoke ability scores. You wouldn't stat out every single one of the 60 bandits. They're just bandits from the Monster Manual.

If you have a bridge guarded by two Exeggutor, you might name them Dunk and Egg and give each of them unique movesets and items, or you might just say "two Exeggutor" and call it a day. The boldface is your cue to go to the Pokédex and find the entry for a generic Exeggutor.

I statted all of these Pokémon manually using Prismatic Wasteland's conversion guide. Would it have been easier to just stat out those Pokémon that are missing from the existing resources and copy and paste those that are not? Certainly. However I'm somewhat fastidious about this kind of stuff - if I'm doing something one way, I want to do everything that same way. I noticed some discrepancies with the results from the conversion guide and the published entries for certain Pokémon, and disagreed in places with individual Pokémon's selected movesets, so I opted for consistency and did it all my way. 

That is to say, my default Pokémon may differ in small ways from those found in other resources, including the core books. You may in turn disagree with the selected movesets for some of my Pokémon, and that's okay too. Make your own version of these Pokémon if you like! This is my resource, and it is a living document that will change if I manage to get more time with the game and my tastes change accordingly. But I wanted to share my work with you in case it is of benefit.

With no further ado, I present the Kanto Pokédex for Into the Oddish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment